Saturday, December 31, 2011

Farewell, 2011, We Knew Ye All Too Well

     Greetings, All -- Well, if you had told me that a year could have a bad personality, I am not certain that I would have believed you before now.  The war years, 1941-1945 were very bad, but they had an excuse:  a crew of really bad actors had jumped the fence and were raising Cain all over the world, doing unspeakable things.  We have some bad ones around today, but compared to those boys from the old days who, I trust, are now burning in some undesirable venue, they are rank amateurs.

     So, 2011, you ushered in a new decade in our new century, but what got into you!  We had the worst weather events ever according to the experts in the form of rain and floods, tornados, blizzards and who can count the ways?  The U.S. Congress is in a world-class shouting match.  Too many folks, even those with youngsters, are living in their cars as they try to make ends meet against odds.  We are winding down two wars with a half war in between and some are beating the war drums again.  From the sublime to the ridiculous, there are thirty-five, count 'em, **35**, bowl games as we roll into 2012!

     Whether or not a year is responsible for human performance within its confines, let us  hope we bottomed out in 2011.  Now, I have never been much for celebration just because a particular calendar page has been turned.  I will confess a fondness for egg nog, with or without, and would not dare pass through that first day absent a dish of hog jowl and black eyed peas.  It seems to me that no sane person would take that chance with his luck in 2012.  Heavens, it just occurred to me, we have a reader in Arabia where hog jowl is as welcome as the bubonic plague.  I am deeply concerned for him because he is a South Floridian too boot!

     Despite my attack on bowl games, I will be attentive to the grudge match between my Gators and those big meanies, the Ohio State Buckeyes, in the Gator Bowl.  Neither team has moved mountains this year, but I suspect that both are pretty well spun up for their game.  Of course, I will have an occasional celebratory libation in my grip in case the going gets too tough.  And with that, I will do my best to count on family, friends and readers to stand shoulder to shoulder with me and meet the challenges that surely lie before us and our noble nation during 2012.

     Best wishes to you for a Happy and Prosperous New Year, Billy

No comments:

Post a Comment